Fifty-five thousand workers walked off the job on Friday, despite the Ontario government hastily passing a law to prevent the action.
Emily Cole, Regional Communications Lead – CUPE 1187 & Head Custodian at the Bluewater Outdoor Education Centre, says that their demands are simple, with a modest pay increase of $3.25 an hour.
“We went into negotiations for a loonie, a toonie, and a quarter, and that is all we are asking for and what the government is coming back with is… insulting. They do not seem to want to negotiate with us.”
Negotiations initially started in June, but over the past months have gotten nowhere.
“The cost of living has [gone] up so high and it’s going to increase next year, and the years to come, and we’re just falling behind so far. And we’ve fallen behind for the last ten years, and enough is enough.”
Cole says that the union employees aren’t happy about having to take strike action, but they felt it was the right move to benefit students in the long run.
“Our schools have fallen behind. Our students have fallen behind and we need to get the support now in the schools, and get these EAs what they deserve, and get these students their support, or else our schools are going to continue to fall behind and students are going to struggle, and it’s just not fair.”
Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce’s office published his speaking notes Thursday afternoon, saying that if CUPE members continued with their strike, then they will be breaking the law.
Lecce and the Ford Government passing Bill 28 also meant that strike action would be met with fines, of up to $4000 per person, per day, and a fine of $500,000 for the union.
Cole says that “We are in such solidarity and have so much support from the communities as well as other unions this is our chance to fight back and there have been instances where he has spoken of fines that are going to come out, but we are ready to hit the ground running, boots on the ground, and get our message out because we need to be heard.”
Cole also adds that the CUPE picket lines are kid-friendly, and there will even be games and crafts available, and it has been made a safe and fun environment for the children of those joining in the protest.

